Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sad story


Moving up here was pretty dramatic. Allen brought up the Mistral with the boat and accidentally put petrol in it instead of diesel. He was held up for 3 -4 hours at Bombay. I drove the car up but was too scared to drive on Auckland's motorways so David met me at Hamilton's bus stop and drove to his place in Torbay from whence I drove up to Whangarei. All went well except that our caged cat, Fatso, squealed all the way to the cattery. When I left David I put her cage on the passenger seat and stroked her thought the bars but she still protested. NOW she so very happy. She was in a cattery for about a month and has settled down far better than we have.
The sad story is that I was tempted to take up a long term relieving job at a local boys school. It appeared in the paper the week we got here and was for a woman who was sick with cancer. I felt I was fated to do it. Alas, it was too much for me, I suffered from acute anxiety after about 6 weeks and left after 8. I felt very ashamed and depressed - a very bad start for my new life.
Funnily enough, a friend who also started at a Northland school in term 2 (in a more planned way) also had a horrible start to her work up here. She has survived but only just. I'm not complaining about the school which was pretty good really but I found the kids difficult. It's weird that we both felt the same thing.
I can't afford to really retire - without relieving and can only hope that the disaster I experienced doesn't spoil my reputation or confidence. In a strange twist of fate another job has come up at a private school - it's not so long term and sounds like a lovely job - I hope to meet the people concerned this coming week.

No comments: