Saturday, October 4, 2008

Have a dream


Got back from Whangarei on Friday night after a great week away but a nightmare journey home where we were stymied by not one but three road-closing accidents. I should feel sorry for the victims of the accidents but they are kind of anonymous and we were just stunned at the huge detours we had to make. One of them was from the East Coast to the West Coast (narrow part of island but even so ...)

Anyway, the trip up north has just confirmed and intensified my desire to retire. I only wish we were richer and that I could give up work 100%. I have to consider proximity to schools for relieving teaching and rising petrol prices mean that I can't live too many miles away from places of work.

SO - Whangarei is shabbier than our town and has - I think - less salubrious suburbs than we do here BUT what a glorious hinterland. There is also much of interest in Whangarei and a fantastic new library. Not only that but a great "Classics" bookshop and two second hand bookshops selling quality lit.

If our house sells we will have to live in a humbler abode up there but we have found possibilities in central Whangarei and on the coast at Ruakaka.

We want to live where we can see Mt Manaia. I just love that mystical looking rocky ridge at the ehad of Whangarei Harbour.

No comments: