Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Unexpected praise

Went to a Alzheimer's Society Carers' meeting on Tuesday. I'm in two minds about this group and my contribution to it now that Allen is in care. The Alzheimer's key worker said she'd like me to keep coming and one of the regulars uses it to offload her concerns about HER husband in care. Also, I need to get out and meet people. So I go and cringe sometimes at what I "share" on these occasions. But Tuesday was pretty good. There were only three of us in addition to the key worker and the conversation veered into the weird and wonderful at times. Like how newly single women in ancient societies were killed because they were a threat to the wives of the village and how there is still an undercurrent of this when an older woman alone ventures out into society. Huh. But more importantly there was a woman of about late 70s to early 80s there: very articulate and in that awful phase where her husband has a diagnosis but is still driving. I told her of the two accidents Allen had at that stage. She was on the verge of tears, something I've seen before at these meetings and my heart went out to her. Anyway, as we left she came up to me and touched my shoulder saying I had been a big help to her. She doesn't talk to anybody. Phew, I always feel I'm crap at empathy and that praise meant a LOT to me. I don't know know if you'd call it praise but acknowledgement that I'd been of help. So nice because helping others is so good for the soul:)

To top that off in a superficial way I got told I looked too young for a Gold Card at Mcdonald's
yesterday. Wow. I'm on a roll.

Windswept coast pics are also good for the soul so here's Orewa from Pinewoods Holiday Park.

No comments: